Bonnie Brae

Located east of University Avenue between Mississippi and Exposition Avenues, Steele Street and University Boulevard, Bonnie Brae was developed in the 1920’s on land that had been granted to the Kansas Pacific Railroad in 1870. The railroad eventually sold the land to farmers, and later it became part of the town of South Denver, one of the many small communities annexed by Denver. In the 1920’s George Olinger wanted to recreate a Scottish Village as his vision and it took time before Ellipse park in the center of the community was complete and home were built on the winding streets surrounding the park.  Most notable is the revolutionary architectural style in these homes.